Athena, usually under the alias of Paley Anderson, is the Greek goddess of wisdom, warfare and handicraft. She is controlled by ItzXenos.
Athena is an intelligent, witty, strong willed, and very confident, and being thousands of years old gives her a good understanding of the world's workings.
Being thousands of years old also means Athena is a little condescending, being quite willing to assert herself over over people, and is quick to respond to insolence with a harsh tone as well as referring to others with terms like "Son, Darling or Sweetie" in a mocking tone. Despite this, Athena also displays a comedic side fairly often, usually often making quick remarks about the situation and can weave this into her interactions with other people, usually by comparing them to something else and in general is quite a talkative person.
Athena also shows no interest in pursuing any kind of romantic relationship, a key part of her characterisation by the Ancient Greeks denoted by one of her epithets, "Athena Parthenos" meaning "Athena the Virgin". This quite obviously shown by her disinterest and eventual annoyance at Andrew Smith trying to woo her in Dating the Deity, as his first attempts end up embarrassing her in public and causing some onlookers to think she and Andrew are a couple much to her dismay. She also mentions that guys have approached her in the past, presumably meeting a similar fate as Andrew did.
However, as seen in Echo Call and Operation Blue, Athena's loss of her worship and as such bounding an immortal like her to live amongst humans means that Athena is hesitant to make genuine attachments and bonds with them. Not only does she know that they won't due to the mortality of humans and she'll be quickly be forced to move on, but she also appears to be afraid of that said loss, all the more evident in her reluctance in having to take Aurora in as an agent, fearing she'll grow attached to her and won't be able to handle the loss of her eventually dying. Her fears appear to be proven when Vortigon kidnaps her in Into the Fire and her guilt over the situation, showing a genuine attachment to Aurora that Athena had seemingly striven to avoid, ends up prompting the confused and panicked mental breakdown seen while she is held by the gang in Echo Call. This fear of loss is only worsened in Operation Blue, where even Vortigon takes note of her distress and calls her out on it, and mocks her for allowing herself to be attached to something so insignificant compared to her.
Powers and Abilities
Athena has the standard abilities of a Deity.
- Supernatural Mind: Athena's mind is arguably her most valuable asset.
- Enhanced Intelligence: She is quite intelligent, with fairly adept problem solving abilities.
- Supernatural Wisdom: Being thousands of years old, she has a high awareness of the world and the natural order.
- Enhanced Memory: She also appears to be able to remember most experiences, even those from hundreds of years ago, fairly well. She remembered exactly how many years ago she had helped kill Vortigon.
- Illumination: As a show of strength, she can make her eyes glow white, either for a few seconds or indefinitely till she stops it.
- Electromagnetic Interference: She has on multiple occasions caused nearby lights to flicker, spark, or explode. This also occurs when she is incredibly displeased/angry.
- Telekinesis: She can manipulate objects without the need to touch them. She was easily able to lift a huge tree off her with ease during her fight with Red Fork and lift up multiple pieces of rubble to throw at foes. However, her manipulation of living things appears to be limited, as she was only able to knock Red Fork over onto his side with her telekinesis.
- Weapon Apportation: She can materialise her weapons in her hands almost instantaneously. This has a short cool-down, however.
- Weapon Teleportation: Said weapons can also be teleported away to an unknown safe-space.
- Combat: Athena is a skilled fighter in both hand-to-hand combat and weapons. Despite her endurance, Athena is not exactly the strongest when it comes to raw strength, and employs a trial and error strategy. With her high intelligence, she relies on predicting and learning her opponent's tricks and strategies and eventually form a counter-attack rather than brute force.
- Martial Arts: Her hand-to-hand combat skills are presumably one of the best in the Locked Room Gang, having both the strength to overpower most opponents, the durability to take several hits and continue to fight, and the reflexes to avoid some attacks.
- Spear Proficiency: She is adept at using her spear, it being her go-to weapon in fights.
- Sword Proficiency: She has also shown to be capable of using her dual xiphos effectively.
Athena has the standard weaknesses of a Deity.
- Epsilon Trap: Athena can be trapped by a Epsilon Trap.
- Flashlight: Athena carries a flashlight in her blazer pocket.
- FBI wallet and Badge: She also carries a fake FBI wallet and badge to impersonate an FBI agent for her work.
- Her Briefcase: Athena's briefcase contains several different items that she uses in her investigation and combating of the supernatural, including what would later become Aurora's Blade.
- Spear: Athena's spear is her most recognisable weapon. This spear can be thrown great distances like a javelin and she usually uses her telekinesis to bring it back to her hand.
- Dual Xiphos: She also has two xiphos wielded in each hand. Since they are essentially backup weapons, they are unheard of in the recorded mythologies. These two blades are incredibly strong yet very light, allowing Athena to fight with a great level of agility.
- Laptop: Athena has a laptop that, thanks to Thoth, has access to the The T.H.O.T.H Network.
Relations with other characters
- Aurora: TBA once Operation Blue is finished (like that's ever gonna happen lol)
- Vortigon: It is clear there is much animosity between the two. Athena not only annoys Vortigon with her witty nature, but it is likely she holds a grudge against him for not only nearly killing, but likely also for capturing Aurora and holding her prisoner in between the events of Into the Fire and Echo Call.
- Red Fork: After her mind was temporarily affected by the events of Into the Fire, it caused her to leave a path of destruction when she landed in Echo Creek during Echo Call. As such, Red Fork set out to incapacitate her, and they proved to be formidable opponents for one another. Later, when she finally opens up about her regrets with Aurora, Red Fork is the one who comforts her. By the end of the story, it seems to be that Red Fork and Athena may have developed a certain amount of respect towards each other.
IaLR: Tier Lists Stats
Despite having a fairly low power level compared to other characters of her tier, Athena makes up for this with her somewhat well rounded stats, having a synchronised high defence and health as well as her high intelligence. This all helps in her combat style, which focused on prediction and outsmarting her enemy, and using her above average mobility to keep ahead of them while she carefully chooses her next move.
In IaLR: Tier Lists - Are Deities OP?, Athena is at A-Tier, having the intelligence, power and defence to tank many attacks that would be a game-ender for most other classes as well as predict the movements of more mobile classes and punish effectively, only being beaten out by beings in the tier above her.
"And it's moments like these that make me wish I sleep with a shotgun under my bed."
"I want.. cookies... and a 90-minute cut of Avatar."
- In the Shadow of an Aurora (Debut)
- Holding Back
- Into the Fire
- Echo Call
- Killer Sting
- Operation Blue
- Dating the Deity
- Treasure Blunders
- Like Father, Like Daughter
- Dressed in Purple
- Yes, Athena counts as a tsundere.
- The full name of her alias is Paley Pallas Anderson.
- While not known at first, her ability to make her eyes glow ended up being remarkably similar to one of her epithets, Glaukopis, usually translated as "bright-eyed" or "with gleaming eyes". However, Glaukopis is a combination of glaukós (meaning "gleaming, silvery", and later, "bluish-green" or "gray") and ṓps ("eye, face"), another accidental similarity as Athena has grey eyes.
- Staring into Athena's eyes appears to instil some kind of intimidation into a person.